Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Late night sweet tooth

So I found another GREAT blog that I'm already addicted to...
 

Isn't that cute?! So I didn't get far into reading the posts (only one) when I found this post about marshmallows! I've never made them but I love them! There's just something about the texture and flavor that's child-like and I remember begging my mom at the store if I could go home with a bag of the colored ones :o)

Well, these aren't colored but they are covered with flavor that probably makes them 100 times better than I thought marshmallows could ever be! Enjoy the commentary by the original blogger!



 
"If you haven't ever made your own marshmallows DO IT NOW!
They are so easy and totally yummy.
Trust me, I am big time scared of the candy thermometer, but you won't mess it up.  I pinky swear."
 recipe adapted from Martha 

4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 cups water divided

Spray 9x13 lightly with cooking spray
line the pan with parchment coming up the sides (at least 2 inches) on each end.
Spray the parchment lightly with cooking spray.


 Put granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 3/4 cup water into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Without stirring, continue to cook syrup until mixture registers 238° on a candy thermometer, between 7-9 minutes.

  
While the syrup is boiling pour 3/4 cup water into bowl of stand mixer.  Sprinkle the gelatin on the water and let it sit 5 minutes so gelatin softens.
When sugar syrup comes to a boil slowly pour the  hot syrup into the gelatin.  


 With the whisk attachment on the mixer beat on high for 12 minutes until marshmallow is very stiff.


 Add vanilla and beat for 1 more minute.
Pour marshmallow into prepared pan and spread with a spatula.  It will be VERY sticky!
Let sit for at least 3 hours uncovered.


 When you're ready, sift 1 cup powdered sugar onto work space.


 Remove the marshmallow from pan onto sugared counter.


 Using a VERY SHARP knife cut the marshmallow into squares.
(You might find it helpful to spray knife with cooking spray)


 For plain marshmallow,s sift remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar into a bowl and coat each cut marshmallow with sugar.
Will store airtight for up to a week.

NOW...if you're not about plain marshmallows, let's have some fun...
I combined 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and instead of rolling the cut marshmallows in powdered sugar I rolled them in the cinnamon sugar...YUM!

and these I rolled in a combination of 1/4 cup cocoa powder and 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
These would be great in hot chocolate...
ok, now I got a little crazy.
I melted some white chocolate and dipped in sprinkles...
 mini chips...
hearts for Valentines :)
Crushed Oreos, because that's completely necessary.
 I heated up some peanut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds and dipped the marshmallow in...then I dipped it in the white chocolate.  Hell yes I did.
...and finally the genius idea (that was 100% not mine) of dipping the marshmallow in chocolate and then crushed graham crackers for an instant S'more.  High five to whoever thought that up!
 So here you go...a smorgasbord  of marshmallow to help your 2011 get off to a great start.
 I'm pretty sure it's impossible to not be happy when you're eating a marshmallow.
Yep..completely impossible.

0 comments: